Sensory-friendly performances are designed to create a welcoming experience for families with children with autism or with other disabilities that create sensory sensitivities.
Accommodations for this performance include:
- Lower sound level, especially for startling or loud sounds;
- Lights remain on at a low level in the theater during the performance;
- A reduction of strobe lighting or lighting focused on the audience;
- Patrons are free to talk and leave their seats during the performance;
- Designated quiet areas within the theater;
- Space throughout the theater for standing and movement;
- A social story for the event - a written story with pictures and personalization options showing information about the social situation of visiting a theater to communicate behavioral expectations and prepare for a new experience and environment (available soon).
- Fewer seats sold for more room- we are selling only every other row for this performance.
The beloved tale, The Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum; Music and Lyrics by Harold Arlen and E. Y. Harburg, tells the story of Dorothy Gale, a young woman living on a Kansas farm with her Aunt Em and Uncle Henry, dreaming of escaping her mundane life (“Over The Rainbow“).
When a twister strikes the family farm, Dorothy and Toto are whisked over the rainbow to a far-away land filled with colorful characters and daring adventures; some who become her truest friends. The Scarecrow, Lion, and Tin Man journey with Dorothy to meet The Wizard in which they find out a shocking secret! Ultimately, Dorothy discovers the truth that not everyone is who they say they are and the delightful power that there really is “No Place like Home."
Prices listed online reflect an online discount. Prices at the door (cash or check only) are usually $5-$10 higher.
Special thanks to the Kennedy Center and Trinity Repertory Theater.